Llanfrechfa Grange was built in 1848 in a prominent position within a large area of agricultural and open countryside. It is believed that an earlier manor house or large farmhouse existed further to the north of the current house and east of White Hall Farm. Currently however we know no more about this earlier dwelling or indeed about the farm, which is also no longer there. There is one school of thought that believes they may have been one and the same building.
The successive owners of Llanfrechfa Grange are listed below, hyperlinked to pages that will, as this story unfolds, provide more details about each of these families and the later public bodies that have occupied the estate.
|1848 – 1860||Charles Prothero|
|1860 – 1913||Francis Johnstone Mitchell|
|1913 – 1921||Frederick and Gladys Cleeve|
|1921 – 1922||Sir John Cecil Davies|
|1922 – 1933||Dame Elsie Louise Llewelyn, wife of Sir Leonard Wilkinson Llewelyn|
|1933 – 1947||Llanfrechfa Property Company Ltd|
|1947 – 2009||Monmouth County Council and successor Public Bodies:-|
|1955 – 1965||
|1965 – 1974||
|1974 – 1982||
|1982 – 1991 (tbc)||
|1991 – 1999 (tbc)||
|1999 – 2009||
|2009 – date||Aneurin Bevan University Health Board|